Friday 18 November 2016

Perspectives from the PYP Coordinator

18 November

As the year progresses, I am getting into the classrooms more to observe the children learning and inquiring. One of the areas I am most interested in is how we combine the writing workshop model of having long periods of time for students to write with our units of inquiry. As I watch the homeroom teachers, I am in awe of how they have taken this model of writing and combined it to teach our students the different writing strategies. Our transdisciplinary teaching supports the students digging deeper into the content of the units while learning all about different ways to write.
Recently, I have observed the Year Two classes writing How to Books about how different types of plants grow. I also observed the Year One students looking at books to gain ideas for how to write their own books with a table of contents. Then I viewed Year Six students who were writing about literary essays using books about different types of governments. All these examples show you how even when teaching writing our teachers are able to make connections to our units through using books (mentor text) that guide the students further in their inquiries.

Kim Riemer
Primary Years Programme Coordinator



No comments:

Post a Comment